Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

What is Lrr in 'Thyristor with reverse recovery'?

0 votes
asked Aug 9, 2019 by malepatisankar (48 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Hello,

Please see the reference paper for this implementation, and specifically a short discussion of the inductance on Page 3: https://cds.cern.ch/record/291468/files/cn-95-016.pdf

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Kris
answered Aug 12, 2019 by Kris Eberle (1,591 points)
selected Aug 12, 2019 by malepatisankar

Hi. 

Your answer was helpful. According to the document attached, the exponential decay of the thyristor current during turn-off depends on Irrm, L/RL and ts. Though L/RL does not change with varying operating conditions of the circuit, Irrm and ts (or trr) do change.

In my circuit, Ifo and dIr/dt are independent quantities as I can change them easily. But Irrm, ts and Qrr depend on them. There must be some (simplified) relationship between these dependent and independent quantities. Can you help me out regarding this knowledge? I am eager to know how these are related and what determines trr for various Ifo and dIr/dt.

Thanks,

Malepati Sankar.

Hi Malepati,

If you look under the mask (Ctrl+U) of the component, you can inspect the implementation as it is completely open. Further, in the mask initialization commands (Ctrl+M), you will see that a function "plrrdiode.m" is called and that calculates the resistance and gain values using additional parameters specified by the user in the mask. This function is also accessible in your PLECS installation in the private/ folder. I encourage you to go through the equations yourself, but let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Kris