Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

How to model the losses of MOSFET with Diode?

0 votes
I'm trying to model the losses of Microsemi MOSFET in a buck converter. The data sheet has information about losses at just two values (I=40A V=800V and corresponding losses at 25degC and 150degC). I believe this doesn't give a realistic figure. However I tried to model using the two values and I'm getting error for negative switching loss. I've attached the datasheet and screenshot of error.
asked Aug 20, 2019 by Pallavi (22 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hello,

With this particular datasheet, there is limited information available as you mentioned, and we recommend you contact the manufacturer to request additional datapoints, curves, etc. To fully diagnose the issue regarding the error message, we would need to see your model and thermal description files. This might be easily fixed with a few additional datapoints in the thermal description. It might also be that the thermal cooling network is insufficient or that you are not operating the device within its normal range.

Regards,

Kris
answered Aug 20, 2019 by Kris Eberle (1,591 points)