Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Can V*I be used to calculate switching losses of a Limited di/dt MOSFET?

0 votes
Hi There,

I am modelling a circuit using the limited di/dt MOSFET, which does not support thermal models.

Can I use V*I to calculate the switching and conduction losses of the MOSFET, as the PLECs user manual states

"Since the voltage and current transient waveforms are simplified, the model is not suited for the simulation of switching losses."

Does this imply that the current and voltage waveform during the state changes are not accurate values?

Thanks,

B
asked Aug 22, 2019 by purp (12 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Hello,

Correct, we do not recommend that you use the voltage and current waveforms of the two switch components with limited turn-on and turn-off for loss calculation. The peak magnitudes of overvoltage and overcurrent waveforms are accurately calculated, but the higher order growth and decay curves in the real device's behavior are highly dependent on the external circuitry so we don't want you to assume your model corresponds to a hardware implementation. The standard MOSFET should be used for loss calculation with a thermal description and cooling circuit.

Regards,

Kris
answered Aug 23, 2019 by Kris Eberle (1,587 points)