Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

How do I measure active and reactive power consumption in my network using plecslib?

+1 vote
I have designed a converter which is connected to RL type of load. I want to measure active as well as reactive power consumed by load. I did not find any block in plecslib which enables me to measure P and Q. Could you suggest me the solution?

Thank you!
asked Sep 19, 2019 by prasad (18 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Hello,

There is not a block that will calculate P and Q for you automatically, you will need to apply this logic yourself. But we have several demo models that show how this can be done, for example the "Microgrid in Island Operation", "STATCOM Cascaded H-Bridge Converter", and "Neutral-Point Clamped Converter" models. I also attached a screenshot from the NPC demo model where the P and Q equations are implemented using the measured three-phase voltage and current waveforms. Let me know if you have further questions on this topic.

Regards,

Kris
answered Sep 20, 2019 by Kris Eberle (1,575 points)
selected Sep 20, 2019 by prasad
Thanks a lot Kris
Hello,
What answer are you expecting? Note that the waveforms for P and Q are cyclical and vary quite a bit peak-to-peak. You should consider using a Periodic Average block with an averaging time of 1/f to get the mean P and Q values. Does this help?
Regards,
Kris