Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Missing "neutral terminal" in Synchronous Machine model

0 votes
Hi.

I have noticed that there is no neutral terminal provided in any of the synchronous machine or induction machine models in PLECS Library. If neutral terminal is available, it helps in knowing current in synchronous machine's neutral. Since I want to study the Line-to-Ground faults associated with synchronous machine, I would like to know if such simulation is possible in PLECS.

Thanks,

Bhavani.
asked Jan 6, 2020 by malepatisankar (48 points)
edited Jan 7, 2020 by malepatisankar

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer

Bhavani, yes this type of simulation is possible in PLECS. 

Some of the existing machine models in the PLECS library can be modified to bring out the neutral point for this type of analysis.  However, care is required when modifying a machine model to ensure that no assumptions were made in its derivation. Specifically, ia+ib+ic=0 is assumed for the rotor reference frame implementations of the synchronous machine models and all implementations of the Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machine component.  The VBR implementations of the Synchronous Machine (Salient Pole, Saturable), Synchronous Machine (Round Rotor, Saturable), and the Non-Excited Synchronous Machine (Lookup) can be modified in this manner.

For the induction machine with a neutral connection, you can use an the Induction Machine (Open Winding) component from the PLECS Library with the stator windings connected to a common point.

You can modify the library components by right clicking the component and selecting “Subsystem + Break Library Link” and “Subsystem + Unprotect”. Then you can look under the component mask (again by right clicking) to see and modify its implementation. In this case you should add an Electrical Port at the appropriate neutral location.

answered Jan 14, 2020 by Bryan Lieblick (1,905 points)
selected Jan 20, 2020 by malepatisankar