Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

State machine help

0 votes
I want to implement a transition in control strategy for a PMSM based on an external trigger (Like convergence of an estimator).

I believe that the best way to implement this is with a state-machine, where depending on certain triggers it would transition from one type of control to another.

However i can't find an example file to work from as a starting point. (Ideally the oven example that's being talked about in tutorials, but surprisingly hard to locate).

Could someone point me to the right example to serve as a starting point ?
asked Jul 22, 2020 by srinath (26 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote

Hi Srinath,

The best way to start learning about the state machine block is following the tutorial here titled "PLECS: Building a Modulator with the Finite State-Machine Block". 

There are a couple of demo models that use the state machine block in the demo model library -- "Buck Converter with Constant On-Time Control" and "Z-Source Inverter".

Also, I attached the oven control example that you mentioned here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manu

answered Jul 23, 2020 by Manu Parimi (363 points)
edited Jul 23, 2020 by Manu Parimi
Thanks Manu.

I can use this simple example as a reference. The video on the website, is not that well presented IMO.

It talks too much about buttons and window resizing etc and very little on the topic.

Hi Srinath,

Maybe refer to the pdf in that case-- https://www.plexim.com/sites/default/files/tutorials/finite_state_machine.pdf. The files referred in the pdf are in the zip file located on the tutorials page here

Regards,
Manu