Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Add losses to half-bridge vectorial block

0 votes
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add losses to the vectorial model of a half-bridge (I mean the one that model N HBSMs in series). Up to now, I have built my own model using "look under mask" but I do not know how to make N a parameter for the general case.

Thank you

Best regards

Felipe
asked Aug 30, 2020 by Felipe (15 points)

2 Answers

0 votes

Best answer
Hello Felipe,

The Power Modules do not currently support thermal modeling. In theory, you could build this up yourself using the switched implementation and some logic in the initialization code of the subsystem.

If you go to the “Thermal Description Parameter” section of the Thermal Modeling Chapter of the PLECS User Manual/Online Help build into PLECS, you will see that the thermal loss data is stored in a workspace struct variable. You can therefore actually modify the axes in the conduction and switching loss tables to account for series or parallel connections, rather than building NxM cells by hand.

I have attached a basic working PLECS Standalone example that you can reference and modify. You will need to look at the Mask initialization code (Ctrl+M) to understand the logic. To open this model in PLECS Blockset, add an empty PLECS Circuit block in a Simulink model and from the File menu, choose "Import from Standalone". Please study this implementation and then let me know if you have questions.

Regards,

Kris
answered Sep 3, 2020 by Kris Eberle (1,575 points)
selected Sep 3, 2020 by Felipe
Hi Kris,

Thanks a lot! that is exactly what I was looking for.

Best Regards

Felipe
0 votes
I remember that there is some demo which contain the setting of parameter?
answered Sep 3, 2020 by shichenseu (299 points)
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, however, I don't think is there any demo that uses the block "IGBT Half Bridges (Low-/High-Side Connected)" with losses. I know there are demos of smaller topologies (buck, boost) that included loses but I haven find anything for the case when you have N HBSMs in series.

Of course, you can build a chainlink of N cells by hand but I would like to know if there is a more automatic way to do it.

Regards Felipe