Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

switching and coduction losses of a three phase converter

0 votes
The goal of the simulation is to simulate the switching and conduction losses of a 3-phase converter. The converter should be operated without load. The following aspect is not clear to me:

Why are the switching losses so high? According to the parameterization the losses at maximum collector current (Ic = 4800A) should only be about 2.5J (see appendix).

Can anyone help me or point out errors in my simulation?

Appenix:

Simulation model, initialization file (Matlab), thermal model IGBT and diode and an extract from the data sheet of the IGBT
asked Nov 1, 2020 by LukasHunziker (12 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Hello,

Looking at the graph you attached, let's just say during each switch-on event the IGBT dissipates 1J. However, since your switching frequency is set to 1MHz, you will have 1MW of losses during a 1 second window of time. So I believe you need to greatly reduce your switching frequency to see more realistic switching losses. And anyway, an IGBT is likely not designed for such operation, but rather to be switched in the 10's of KHz.

Kris
answered Nov 4, 2020 by Kris Eberle (1,583 points)