Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Limit the current from a voltage source?

0 votes
Hi

How do I simulate/model the current limit of a voltage power supply?
asked Sep 24, 2018 by TimAllan (12 points)

2 Answers

0 votes
Tim,

you'd need to combine an ideal voltage source with an ideal current source and switch between them. If the current through the voltage source exceeds your threshold current you'd switch to the current source. If the voltage across the current source exceeds the threshold voltage, you'd switch back to the voltage source.

An open current source will lead to a simulation error, so you'd have to short-circuit the current source when not used (or provide another path for the current).

Kind regards,

Oliver Schwartz
answered Sep 25, 2018 by Oliver Schwartz (622 points)
0 votes
Tim, I'm sure you will have moved on from this problem now, but I'll post my solution in case someone else finds it useful...

I had a similar problem modelling a current and power limited capacitor charging power supply. In the end I replaced the voltage source with a current source controlled by the capacitor voltage. See model attached.

Regards,

Jonny
answered Jan 19, 2022 by Jonny (14 points)