Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Do we need to define RDS ON if we use 3rd party model

0 votes

I am using Cree mosfet model (from CREE website, PLECS thermal model of mosfet). Do i need to define on-Resistance  Ron in this case, I assume it should take that value from mosfet model as Ron changes with temperature.

imageimage

asked Jan 6, 2021 by devinepower (12 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Hello,

No, this is not required. The thermal data provided by Wolfspeed (Cree) is temperature-dependent, so the losses will vary depending on temperature. The on-resistance parameter is simply to provide a fixed Ron to the electrical simulation, which runs in parallel to the thermal loss calculation. The impedance of the device could be important if you have parallel devices (such as including an external Schottky diode) and want to ensure proper current sharing between the two devices for accurate loss calculations of both.

Kris
answered Jan 7, 2021 by Kris Eberle (1,583 points)