Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Losses using ideal components

0 votes
Hello, I have been using PLECs to model a bidirectional interleaved converter, however I noticed some mismatch in the losses when I was using losses model for the devices, therefore I simplify the circuit to a single half bridge working as a boost converter. I am using ideal switches, no dead time, ideal inductors and capacitors, no thermal components. I am multiplying input voltage x input current and output voltage x output current to get the power and later on the efficiency, however regardless of the power output, I am getting at least 120 W losses (at ~3kW). I was wondering if there is way to fix this and reduce these 'unknown' losses, as they are significant especially since I am looking at a high efficiency design and I do not understand where the losses are coming from because the simulation is running with ideal devices. I am looking forward for any advice on this.

Best regards,

Danilo
asked Oct 25, 2018 by Danilo Llano (14 points)
Please post your model and your calculations.

"Ideal components" does not mean lossless: An ideal resistor still produces losses and ideal capacitors and inductors store energy. Have you taken this into account? Otherwise, averaged input power has to match the averaged output power.

Kind regards,

Oliver Schwartz

1 Answer

0 votes
"Ideal components" does not mean lossless: An ideal resistor still produces losses and ideal capacitors and inductors store energy. If this is taken into account, averaged input power will match the averaged output power.

Kind regards,

Oliver Schwartz
answered Nov 15, 2018 by Oliver Schwartz (622 points)