Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

RT Box sampling

0 votes
Hi all,

I'm using a Plexim RT Box to control my power converter. In the control file, I'm using PWM blocks. When I configure these blocks, I have same values for the switching frequency "fSw" and the sampling frequency "fSapmling" in my model. However, in the drop-down menu "Update", that I configure as "on carrier minimum", "on carrier maximum", "on carrier minimum/maximum", I have the same result, a sample every "1/fSampling". I was waiting for 2 samples when I have the configuration "on carrier minimum/maximum". Is anybody notice this issue ?
asked Nov 28, 2018 by Didier (15 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer

Hi Didier,

With PWM Out block, the modulation index (M) is updated with the simulation step, i.e., "fSampling" in your case. However, the digital outputs are refined by the FPGA, enabling the resolution of 7.5 ns. Therefore, PWM edges can occur in between the simulation step.

As given in the "Help" section of the PWM Out block,

with “On carrier minimum” - M will be sampled when the carrier reaches its minimum
with “On carrier maximum” - M will be sampled when the carrier reaches its maximum
with “On carrier minimum/ maximum” - M will be sampled when the carrier reaches its minimum or maximum, whichever comes first -- only once per simulation step 
with “Immediately” - M will be updated after each simulation step of the RT Box

Run the attached model to view and compare the results.

Regards,
Manu

answered Nov 29, 2018 by Manu Parimi (363 points)
selected Nov 30, 2018 by Didier