Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Film Capacitor in PLECS

0 votes

I want to do some testing using film capacitors in PLECS, but could not find the component in the library.

Could anyone please help me with any feedback on how to get a film capacitor in PLECS?

Kind regards,

Silpa

asked Mar 25, 2021 by Silpa (18 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
There is not a pre-made film-capacitor model in PLECS.

You can simply construct one out of the basic PLECS resistor, inductor, and capacitor components.

You will need to independently research on an appropriate model structure based on your modeling goals and information available from the vendors such as the datasheet.  Note that some SPICE models for ceramic capacitors are simple RLC circuits you can replicate in PLECS.
answered Mar 25, 2021 by Bryan Lieblick (1,853 points)

See the guidance on our website for this error message: https://www.plexim.com/support/solutions/165

Basically, conditions exist where there is no path for the ESL current to flow.  What is connected at the AC side of the inverter?

Yes, I saw this guidance but I am unsure how to correct this error.

Please find the attached picture of AC side.

Kind regards,

Silpa

Where does the ESL current flow when all AC side switching devices are off and the "Icapbank" current is negative? There is no available current path.

With a non-ideal switch the continuous inductor current will flow through the off resistance of the device leading to large voltage.  You can model this by a "large" resistance in parallel with your AC side switches.  This will slow the simulation down.  Alternatively the ESL could have an equivalent parallel resistance, if that models something physical in your capacitor model.