Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Replacing 2 level IGBT converter block with expanded 3 phase inverter

0 votes

I am looking to set up a Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machine model similar to the Demo, however I want to replace the 2 level IGBT converter block with an inverter of my own design. The 'pulses' input for the converter block explains the gate input is a vector of three signals, with the upper IGBT in a leg being turned on by the positive and the bottom IGBT turned on using the negative signal. 

In practice when I try to use these signals in an inverter design similar to the three phase voltage source inverter Demo which requires individual signals for all 6 devices I am having issues. If I simply multiply the signal by -1 to get the negative signal for the bottom device in the leg I get the errors:

"Inconsistent source conditions after switching.
- short-circuited voltage source permanent_magnet_synchronous_machine/Circuit/V_dc "

and a Voltage-Current impulse error

I have tried adding dead time  to the signals but the errors remain and zero-crossings become a problem

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I was hoping this is quite a standard procedure to drop in a more complex inverter into the pmsm control circuitry 

asked Apr 9, 2021 by hugoc (28 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
A PLECS Switch is closed for any non-zero value for the gate input.  If you have a "+1" input signal for the upper switch, and a "-1" signal for the lower switch, then both switches will be closed at the same time, shorting your voltage source.

With the rules for determining when a switch will be closed, you should be able to build the necessary logic to turn the switches on/off appropriately.  You can also right click the "IGBT Converter (3ph)" component and select "Subsystem + Look under mask" to see how that specific component is implemented.
answered Apr 9, 2021 by Bryan Lieblick (1,905 points)
selected Apr 10, 2021 by hugoc
Thanks a lot for the help, looking 'under the mask' made it far clearer