Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

where this time duration comes from?

0 votes
Hi

I added my own thermal model for MOSFET with diode.

and I tested my model and probe switching losses.

But I don't know where this time duration in switching loss comes from.

this time duration definitely affects to junction temperature.

I want to know How I configure this time duration and some background of this.

Please refer to the attached picture.

Thanks

Oliver
asked Jul 16, 2021 by choeoliv (20 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your question Oliver.

The switching losses are modeled as dirac impulses.  In order to have a meaningful interpretation of the switching losses, the impulses should be averaged using the "Periodic Impulse Average" block.  Refer to the "Buck Converter with Thermal Model" demo model for an example of how to use the averaging blocks to determine losses and efficiency.

In the context of your graph, the "width" of the impulse is actually a visual artifact of the solver.  There is a dirac impulse that shows up at one time step, but at the next solver time step (after the switching transition) the switching losses are zero.  With the default scope settings, the PLECS Scope will connect the two points with a line, which is what you're observing.

You can change how the trace is plotted by setting the signal type of the non-averaged switching loss signal to "impulse".  This is done by opening the cursors to see the data window, and clicking the small icon to the right of the trace name.  Again, you should ultimately use the "Periodic Impulse Average" to interpret your results.

answered Jul 19, 2021 by Bryan Lieblick (1,905 points)
selected Aug 17, 2021 by choeoliv
Thank you for your kind answer!