Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

How can I set thermal network between two other discrete MOSFET?

0 votes
Hi

How can I set a thermal impedance between two other MOSFET?

for example, when MOSFET is connected with other MOSFET as a half bridge form, heat from low side MOSFET could affect to high side MOSFET and vice versa.

please let me know or give me some example file.

Thanks.

Oliver
asked Sep 16, 2021 by choeoliv (20 points)
Hello, can you provide a simple circuit drawing or diagram that shows the logic you would like to have? It's not clear if you need just a thermal impedance in between the two junctions, or need to implement some cross-coupling logic. It would also be helpful if you could reference a specific device/packaging.
Hi

What I want to know is thermal network between two other component.

I know thermal impedance between junction to case could be added on the thermal library.

but heat could be transferred to other component.

how could I implement these thermal relationship between each component?

Thanks.

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Is this a half bridge module where they are integrated in the same packaging somehow then? It sounds like you want to model cross-coupling between the two MOSFETs. In this case you can include the logic similar to the attached screenshot of the interaction between and IGBT and diode in a module where each device's junction is connected to a common thermal layer (e.g., heat sink or ambient in your case):

If you know the coupling impedance (Rth_Qd in my diagram) you can place it then in parallel to both MOSFET paths and use a Gyrator style logic to influence the heating from one to the other, and vice-versa. I hope this helps, but let me know if you have additional questions.

Kris
answered Sep 23, 2021 by Kris Eberle (1,575 points)
selected Sep 24, 2021 by choeoliv