Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

How to measure the output impedance or admittance of power electronic converters via RT-BOX in real-time?

0 votes
I recently read a very fantastic paper'Benchmark Study on Impedance Identification Methods for Grid Connected Converters', it tells a way to identify the output impedance of converters in real-time, however, not every student have the Elsys TraNET 408s DAQ instrument.

So , are there other ways to realize the function of online impedance measurement of the converters via RT-BOX?
asked Dec 2, 2021 by shichenseu (299 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Thanks for referencing that paper.  It's an interesting read and highlights a great use-case for the RT Box.

My understanding after reading the paper is that the Elsys TraNET instrument is simply used to record data.  Per Section 3.3 of the paper, the "collected measurements are exported for processing which is done using MATLAB".  It does not seem to suggest that the impedance analysis is performed in real-time or by the TraNET software.

A similar workflow would be possible without the Elsys TraNET instrument by recording the time-domain data on the RT Box using the Scope, Data Capture block, or To-File block, and then processing that offline on a desktop using MATLAB or a similar tool.  Performing this calculation on the RT Box hardware itself in real-time would generally be quite computationally intensive, so I would expect the offline approach to be preferable in most instances.
answered Dec 2, 2021 by Bryan Lieblick (1,905 points)
edited Dec 2, 2021 by Bryan Lieblick