Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Overrun limit with RT Box 2

0 votes
Hi,

What does happen, if I set the overrun limit very high, e.g. 100000 and my available cores are over 100 % CPU-load in steady state? I mean, I understand, there isn't enough time to calculate the whole source code within the time interval given in the coder options. But what exactly happens there? Does the execution of the program code cut when the step size is reached the code begins from start point to execute, or does it finish the execution but cut it anywhere else?

And what happens if the CPU-load exceeds just in some time instants, e.g. when triggering (autotriggering) a scope? Do I get inaccuracies in my values?

Thanks in advance!
asked Mar 8, 2022 by dr00mprins (25 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

The behavior with more than 100% CPU load is undefined. It depends on a number of settings, in particular the multitasking settings. In practice, you should not make any assumptions on the behavior if overruns occur. Things that can happen when an overrun occurs are

• Output values may become inconsistent (some may have been updated while others have not)
  • Input values may become inconsistent (some calculations might use newer input values than previous calculations in the same step)
  • Steps may be missed/skipped

To clarify, the CPU load shown is always the maximum step time that was encountered in the update interval. A value of 100% means that during the last second or so there was at least one step that took 100% CPU time to complete.

answered Mar 9, 2022 by Oliver Schwartz (622 points)