Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Setting up diode with reverse recovery

0 votes
Hi!

This is the first time I use the diode with reverse recovery model, wondering what I should set in "Continuous forward current", what condition is this current generated under and does this parameter matter? I found that this must be specified otherwise there will be a fault on Newton-Raphson iteration failed.

Secondly, I suppose if the on-resistance is specified, then the forward voltage is not necessary? Because the forward voltage is just the on-resistance times the current flowing in the diode. I have the parameter window attached. Thank you.

Regards

Haochen Tao
asked Mar 23, 2022 by Haochen Tao (18 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Haochen,

> This is the first time I use the diode with reverse recovery model, wondering what I should set in "Continuous forward current", what condition is this current generated under and does this parameter matter?

To measure the reverse recovery characteristic the initial test conditions must be specified. "Continuous forward current" specifies the device current before the diode is turned off.  This is typically included in the device datasheet where the reverse recovery parameters are listed.  You can also refer to the reference included in the component documentation to see how this influences the diode equations.

> Secondly, I suppose if the on-resistance is specified, then the forward voltage is not necessary? Because the forward voltage is just the on-resistance times the current flowing in the diode.

This is not accurate.  Von = Vf + i*Ron which is a typical linear approximation of a forward biased diode's VI curve.
answered Mar 25, 2022 by Bryan Lieblick (1,905 points)
Thank you! Now I understand.

Haochen Tao