Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Generate a variable current with the component "Controlled Current Source"

0 votes
Hello,

I have a linear decrease of combination voltage measurements between 120 V and 80 V and I want to generate a variable current between 0 A and 10 A. (10 A at 80 V)

Can I give voltage as a parameter in the signal fed for this component "Controlled Current Source"?

Thanks!

Best regards,
asked Apr 7, 2022 by ipek (19 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
The direct answer is that there is no "voltage" input to the controlled current source.  Only the output current of the component is defined by the controlled input. The voltage across the current source will vary depending on circuit the current source injects into.

I am interpreting your question as desiring a two-port component that has defined voltage and current characteristic.  That is, if you know the voltage across the component is 80V then it must have 10A current output and if the device has 120V, then the current output is 0A.  The same holds true that if the current output is known then one can determine the component voltage. If this is an incorrect interpretation, please provide some additional details.

There will be a few practical challenges with this circuit. Depending on what you connect this two-port component to, there may not be a valid numerical solution that satisfies the specified conditions.  Also, one would need to define the behavior when the voltage or current exceeds the defined intervals for voltage and current.  Therefore, any component with this type of behavior may not be numerically robust without some additional thought/effort.

That being said, the "Electrical Algebraic Component" would be one approach to implement this type of behavior.  Refer to the attached example and the "Electrical Algebraic Component" help. In this particular example, the algebraic constraint is 0=m*(v - 120) - i and m is the slope of your v-i line at (10A-0A)/(80V-120V)=-1/4.
answered Apr 7, 2022 by Bryan Lieblick (1,853 points)
selected Apr 8, 2022 by ipek

Thank you, Bryan! That was very helpful!

Stay healthy!