Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Surge Arrester-Modeling im PLECS

0 votes

I'd like to create three configurable kinds of surge arrester components in PLECS as shown in the file attached (components GDT (gas discharge tube), MOV (metal oxide varistors) and TVS-diods. 

I would like to plot the time - voltage behavior (or: other behaviors)   to compare the reaction time and voltage of each of the three components.

Is this possible in PLECS?  I reviewed the PLESC-Demo models " Two Stage LED driver", but could not find a solution. 

Your help will be much appreciated! Thank you PLECS people!

asked May 17, 2022 by ipek (19 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

There are a few different means to model these devices in PLECS. If you provide more guidance on how exactly you want to model these devices I could provide more specific recommendations.

Many of these devices are specified as piecewise V-I curves or analytical functions that describe the V-I relationship.  Some components in PLECS that could be useful:

• One example of using a V-I curve to model an LED is referenced in the "Two Stage LED driver" demo model. Double click the "LED" component on the far right of the schematic window to see its implementation using a look-up table and a current source.
  • The "Piecewise Linear Resistor" allows for a table based entry of the V-I data.
  • The "Electrical Algebraic Component" can enforce an arbitrary V-I characteristic which could incorporate look-up table or function-based implementation of the V-I relationship.
  • The various forms of the "Variable Resistor" is another alternative.  This includes the basic "Variable Resistor" component as well as the implementations with constant or variable series inductances.
answered May 18, 2022 by Bryan Lieblick (1,905 points)
Thank you for your detailed answer. As requsted, please find attached some further guidance which might be helpful.

In case 1 :  I want to select just TVS because Energie is only 42mJ.

Then , I would like to put these TVS in circuit in order to see the result as time-voltage behavior.

Should you have any questions or need more information, please let me know.

Thank you very much again!
There is insufficient information here to tell you how to model the device. I would recommend some additional research such as looking at a few data sheets and TVS diode vendor's modeling application notes to get a better feel for the different modeling approaches and input data requirements.

One small note is that it if you're interested in the energy absorbed by the device (e.g. 42 mJ), you can use the Probe component to get the device's instantaneous power, and then integrate that to get the energy.