Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Scalar VFD Unbalanced Current in Induction Machine

0 votes
I am working on a Scalar VFD, to drive a 2 pole, 400V, 50Hz machine (110kW) with machine parameters taken directly from a pre-existing MATLAB model (Image 1)

When measuring the phase currents within the stator windings of the IM I am encountering imbalance between each phase. There is both a DC offset and change in Amplitude between each phase. In a no load condition (mechanical connection of IM is attached directly to the rotational reference) there is an electromagnetic torque produced by the motor (Image 2)

Any guidance in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!
asked Oct 31, 2022 by Cirros (17 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Hello,

The problem appears to be with the generation of the three-phase reference signals. You should use a Sine Wave block to generate the reference or use the wrapping feature of the Integrator, rather than the Memory block for this purpose (which can have unintended effects). Please find attached a modified version of your circuit with balanced phase currents.

Best,

Kris
answered Nov 9, 2022 by Kris Eberle (1,583 points)
selected Nov 9, 2022 by Cirros
Thank you for getting back to me on this. Its good to know this for future designs!

Regards,

Cirros