Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

negative loss

0 votes
Hi Kris, I have a similar problem, too. But my current value in the error is normal. However, junction temperature is way higher. But I do not believe that the error is in the heatsink. I compared my xml file with a provided model`s xml files. They are similar and with the provided files I have also the similar errors. Sometimes the error is not in igbt, it is in diodes or in the turn off losses.
asked Dec 12, 2022 by Ulca (12 points)
edited Dec 12, 2022 by Ulca
Are you able to include your circuit model here? Or you can send it along with the XML files to support@plexim.com. Thanks.

1 Answer

0 votes
Your conduction loss table specifies 0.646V drop at 125º and 0.576V drop at 175º (for 50A, which is close to your operating point of 46A). At T=589.6º (at which point your IGBT has long gone into flames) the voltage drop is extrapolated to a negative value, resulting in (theoretical) negative conduction losses.

So your problem is not a negative conduction loss but a too high IGBT temperature.
answered Dec 19, 2022 by Oliver Schwartz (622 points)