Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Thermal description and simulation errors

0 votes
hi :)

I tried simulating the IKZ75N65EH5 device, one of Infineon's igbt types.

However, an error similar to the attached file occurred and I would like to inquire about a solution.

At first, I thought the error was caused by the lack of a heatsink, so I added a heatsink. However, an additional error occurred.

And I added IKZ75N65EH5 to the column description, turn-on loss and turn-off loss are not entered correctly. Could this be related to the error?

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to run the simulation in the situation like the picture.
asked May 12, 2023 by JungWoo (14 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
The heatsink needs to be connected to a Temperature reference point. Please attach to the heatsink thermal connection a Fixed or Controlled Temperature Source and (thermal) ground it.
answered May 12, 2023 by Kris Eberle (1,575 points)
thank you

The simulation worked.

There is something additional I would like to ask you.

As shown in the attached figure, the representation of switching loss is not reflected. how can i solve it?

The following equation is entered for the switching loss.

max(lookup('e_rg_on', Rgon)*lookup('e_tj_on', T)*lookup('e_i_on', i)*lookup('e_v_on', v)/(lookup('e_i_on', 37.5)^3) *1e-3,0)

max(lookup('e_rg_off', Rgoff)*lookup('e_tj_off', T)*lookup('e_i_off', i)*lookup('e_v_off', v)/(lookup('e_i_off', 37.5)^3) *1e-3,0)

Is something wrong with your formula? If not, what could be the problem?
Hi again. Glad to hear that worked.

Yes, the standard Turn-on and Turn-off losses tables are not used directly, but rather, the manufacturer included "Custom Tables", which are accessed from another tab to the right of the Thermal Editor GUI. There you will find the 'e_rg_on', 'e_tj_on', etc. tables that are then invoked by the formulas.
Thanks, solved all problems.

Have a good day ! :)