Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

How to enter thermal impedance of IGBT and Diode separately in the thermal model of 'IGBT with Diode'?

0 votes
Thermal impedance of junction to case  is different for IGBT and Diode. To define thermal model of 'IGBT with Diode', How can we enter thermal impedance separately for IGBT and Diode ? For your reference, the image of thermal impedance is attached herewith.
asked May 27, 2019 by yugalgupta96 (12 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Hello,

In this case you should use separate IGBT and diode components.

Regards,

Kris
answered May 29, 2019 by Kris Eberle (674 points)
Hello,

I have the same problem!

However, I am not sure if what you suggested works because if I use a separate IGBT(with limited di/dt) and diode(with reverse recovery) I cannot incude a thermal model for them. The thermal model can only be included when I use the single component IGBT with Diode.

Any idea how can I solve this problem?

Thank you in advance
Hello,

That is correct, only the ideal semiconductors in PLECS (IGBT, Diode, etc.) can be used for thermal modeling.

Best regards,
Kris
Hello,

Yes that is what I just said. But still in this case, it seems like you can only include a thermal model either for the IGBT or the diode, and not for both at the same time(even when you're using IGBTD - so IGBT with diode).And including the thermal behaviour of both the IGBT and Diode at the same mode is what I actually have to do! Is there away to work around this issue? How can I study the thermal behaviour and losses of an IGBT with Diiode in plecs ?

Thank you in advance

Best regards,

Kosta