Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

How can I get an accurate power loss information using thermal description in case of soft switching?

0 votes
Hi,

I working on loss modelling of PFC converter. My PFC operates in boundary conduction mode (CrCM) and the MOSFET switches on at Valley or zero valley (ZVS) of drain-source voltage. In order to achieve VS/ZVS, I used a parallel capacitance (22pF from datasheet) and reverse diode (Body diode) across the MOSFET. To calculate the power loss I am using thermal model. The problem is, at the valley point (when let's say Vds = 320V) the instantaneous voltage drop across capacitor causes a big current spike (approx. 900A) through the MOSFET. Thermal model calculates conduction power loss corresponding to this current spike too which is in order of kW. Is there any way around to get an accurate power loss during soft switching?

Thanks

Qurat
asked Jul 20, 2019 by Qurat (12 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.