Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Loss calculation with thermal description

0 votes
Hi,

I have a question related to the power loss calculation of IGBT/MOSFET. In order to calculate the conduction and switching losses, I built a new thermal description by myself with a simple characteristic of IGBT, then I chose the "thermal description" from the one I built. Then do I still need to set the value in "parameters", like "Forward voltage", or "On-resistance"? Since I notice that with value in "parameters" or without has a big difference in power loss results. Which one is correct? And what is the difference of "Parameters" and "Thermal" in relation to conduction loss calculation?

Thanks for your help and the model is attached.

Best regards
Joy
asked Aug 9, 2023 by Joy (16 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
The values entered in the "Parameters" tab impact the electrical simulation.  When the component is associated with a thermal model, the values in the "Parameters" tab will only impact the thermal behavior in that they alter the electrical behavior of the circuit, for example how current will be shared by two parallel devices.
answered Aug 11, 2023 by Bryan Lieblick (1,909 points)
Hi,

thanks a lot for your answer! So does it mean, actually I need to input value in the "Parameters" tab to calculate the losses of semiconductors correctly, since the current distribution also influences the thermal losses? I compare the simulation results with electrical values in the "Parameters" tab and without, there is actually a big difference.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Best regards

Joy