Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Should I keep the notation of PLECS documentation in PMSG?

0 votes

Hello, I'm currently designing a small scale Wind turbine using a direct drive with a permanent magnet syncronous generator (no gearbox) and the mechanical equation that's in the PLECS documentation is:

• d/dt (wm) = 1/J (Te - Fwm - Tm)       (1)

where F is friction, wm is the mechanical speed and, the electromagnetic torque (Te) is positive and the mechanical torque (Tm) negative. In the literature I've read this equation is used with Te negative and Tm positive, since it is used as a generator. 

• d/dt (wm) = 1/J (Tm - Fwm - Te)       (2)

My question is it okay to change this terms and using the equation with the rest of my system? or should I keep just as PLECS documentation? is it worth to mention that in Mathcad 15 i used (2) with my calculations and the results i get are correct but the moment i go to simulate with PLECS the system just doesn't work. Thanks for reading this far. 

asked Dec 13, 2023 by Renzo Beltrán (15 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer

Renzo, which equation one chooses depends on the conventions used (motor vs. generator).  The conventions are somewhat arbitrary, but should be consistent in your model - does a positive Te increase the speed or decrease the speed? One can convert between the conventions if needed.

It also depends on how one is sensing the torque and speed in the model.  For example, if you were to probe the PMSM then Te will align with convention (1).  However, if you have an external torque source/sensor then it depends on the orientation of the source/sensor.

answered Dec 14, 2023 by Bryan Lieblick (1,909 points)
selected Jan 11 by Renzo Beltrán