Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

solving algebraic loop due to parasitic Gate Source Capacitance in 3-LVL-ANPC under different modulation strategies

0 votes

Hello,

I would like to investigate different modulation strategies for a 3-LVL-ANPC-SiC topology under different operating points in terms of overall efficiency and power dissipation (temperature) per switch.

To additionally investigate any overvoltages occurring at the switches, I would like to implement the parasitic drain source capacitances (C_DS = C_oss - C_rss). (Coss, Crss from the data sheet specifications)
I had already asked a question here regarding the occurrence and non-solving of algebraic loops at some operating points.

https://forum.plexim.com/8413/algebraic-variable-resistor-different-modulation-strategies

If I now install a drain source capacitance in parallel to the body diode as shown in the attached picture, I always get the following error message, regardless of the operating point under consideration:
Could not solve the algebraic loop comprising the following components:
1: 3_LVL_ANPC_SiC_VSI_Ron_Erec/S1a/MOSFET
2: 3_LVL_ANPC_SiC_VSI_Ron_Erec/S1a/2D-Table1
3: 3_LVL_ANPC_SiC_VSI_Ron_Erec/S1a/R/Product
4: 3_LVL_ANPC_SiC_VSI_Ron_Erec/S1a/R/Subtract

This leads to an immediate termination of the simulation, even at the operating points that previously worked without the additional capacity.

Hence my question: Is there a way to add an additional drain source capacitance for each switch without aborting the simulation due to not solving an algebraic loop?
I would really appreciate an answer. I have attached pictures to illustrate the problem.

Kind regards 
THK

asked Feb 5 by THK (22 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I would not recommend running thermal models with a parallel switch capacitance modeling the Coss.  When the switch is closed the Coss will discharge into the MOSFET channel leading to a large current spike within the switch.  The drain-source voltage will also not change instantaneously.  This leads to an incorrect V & I entries into the thermal look-up tables, which are generally extracted under a different set of assumptions.

If one wants to model the Coss in the manner you're using, I would recommend using a Configurable Subsystem - one with a thermal model and the other with a more complicated electrical model.

The recommendations made in your other post about resolving algebraic loops apply here as well.
answered Feb 6 by Bryan Lieblick (1,909 points)