Please take a minute to review and accept our Terms of Use.
Welcome to the PLECS User Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Many technical questions regarding PLECS are answered on the Technical Solutions page of our website. Tutorial videos, specific application examples, and pre-recorded webinars are available on our YouTube page. Please follow us on LinkedIn for the latest Plexim news.

Can I include EMI filter in PLECS?

0 votes
Could you please tell me anyways or give me some examples of including an EMI filter (which has common mode, and differential mode chokes and x cap, y caps)in PLECS.
asked Feb 8 by Sivakumar Gannamraju (21 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
One can construct a model of the passive components of your EMI filter using basic components from the PLECS library. For example, the "Mutual Inductor" component is appropriate for common mode chokes with mutual coupling.

However, note that if you employ the standard ideal switch model in PLECS there will be a natural limitation regarding the accuracy of the calculated spectrum because the switching transition itself is not modeled. If you are interested in the spectral components that are natural harmonics of the switching switching frequency (multiples) then PLECS may provide sufficient detail.

If you want to analyze higher frequencies where the switching transitions and other parasitics are critical, you may want to consider a different type of simulation or directly a hardware measurement.
answered Feb 12 by Bryan Lieblick (1,909 points)